Thursday, November 7, 2013

October come and gone

Time is on the minds of many a volunteer recently. I hear mention of a "countdown" since we have less than a year left, sharing the holiday spirit we miss from America this time of year, thinking of the future beyond our return, and fear of regret for not making the most of the present. For me, I barely notice the passing time since there is not much noticeable change in season. The torrential rains have stopped and it's not getting "colder"; my trainees are wearing jackets over their uniforms, my students insist the fans are turned off when we're practicing yoga, and I sweat just a little bit less. I do, believe it or not, reach for my blanket while sleeping, which is similar to a large towel (provided by Peace Corps), but I will still never turn off my fan.

Rainy season rice fields
Recently, my mind has been occupied by the time I spend with the energetic, enthusiastic girls I work with at Mekhala House, a home for at-risk girls. It's down the street from me, and every time I arrive to teach English, yoga, or hang out, I'm greeted by swarming girls screaming "sister, sister!". It's nice to feel needed. I started their yoga program, thanks to donations from friends and family, almost a month ago with a class from Cambodia's only yoga NGO, Krama Yoga. Two Khmer teachers came from Phnom Penh to teach the girls (and one boy) two separate sessions that first weekend. The girls took to yoga quite well, not only through their natural capacity for the poses, but also in their attitudes. Ever since, they are begging me to teach them more and trying to stand on their heads. They are so busy with school and extra classes, as all school children are, that I either teach them every week at 5:30 AM or on the weekend. Today, they were waiting for me, buzzing at 5:20 on their colorful mats. Your typical American pre-teen or teen would not be found exuding such alertness at that hour. I feed off their energy to stumble my way through modeling while simultaneously explaining in Khmer what I'm doing in each pose. While the girls often exclaim "chu!" which translates to sick or hurt while practicing, they push on to attempt challenging poses or are beginning to elect taking a rest in between. This has been an invigorating addition to my schedule and I am exciting to continue leading them through classes through the duration of my service. Natural leaders are starting to shine through who will take on leading classes as I end my time here. Staff from Mekhala, the English teacher and house mom, are participating consistently in class out of their own interest in yoga and I hope will continue to do so in future years.

First headstands; can't stop, won't stop
This year, I felt some nostalgia for American holidays and attempted some Halloween celebrations with my host sisters and girls at Mekhala. I was somewhat successful in getting the idea across, but what a bizarre holiday to try to explain logically and with limited language abilities. When the ladies at the market expressed amusement that I was purchasing pumpkins, I attempted to explain why, that we would make faces on them since it was part of an American tradition for a holiday there. They just laughed and continued on. My sisters and I draw faces on their pumpkins (I was scared for them to wield knives), painted our faces, put on fake mustaches (thanks to Rebecca!) and watched a "Toy Story" Halloween special. The girls at Mekhala had some base of understanding for Halloween, probably from the internet or TV, and were excited to celebrate together. We took out face paint and I showed them some images on google to inspire their creativity. They went to town, and turned me into a bloody zombie. We also watched "Nightmare Before Christmas" which conveniently folds in other American holidays. They were completely engrossed in the movie and have continued to sing the songs after; successful sharing of American culture, if I can say so myself. Best part, I biked home with that facepaint at the horror of some people on the street. If foreigners weren't scary enough...

Original face painting ideas, these girls have some dark thoughts it seems...
Cambodian Correspondence received its first postcards and the students have been hard at work designing their own unique postcards to send in response. Please send us 1 or more postcards to learn about my students and Khmer culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment