Tuesday, August 13, 2013

milestones and evolution

I’m not one to highlight milestones as the years pass, but the short or long time I have spent in Cambodia thus far, depending on the day and my outlook, has allowed me to focus more on them.  I just celebrated my second and last birthday in the Bodes and now I must remember when asked everyday how old I am to answer differently. I have now been in Cambodia for over a year and I still feel like every day throws something new and unexpected at me. I recently had a conversation with our country director who called this phase of a volunteer’s experience the height of "ignorant arrogance". This means that at this point the volunteer tends to think they know all, but they simultaneously realize they in fact know nothing. However, some things have come to be more commonplace and I tried to compile a small list of those below. I look forward to the chance I will have this coming month to see this country through the fresh eyes of my American family. I’m not sure what the next year will bring, but I know it will be constantly changing, surprising and more intense than the past one.

Things that have become normal:
- pigs on motos
- families on motos (5 or so people)
- round-about insanity and the "traffic rules"
- waiting and waiting when it comes to travel
- food sitting out for hours in the market
- kids using knives and other dangerous objects
- monks chanting on loudspeakers
- rain pausing the flow of daily life

Things that are still shocking:
- IVs on motos
- after a moto accident, the injured is thrown on the back of another moto
- physical appearance being bluntly commented on
- wedding music - volume and length

A personal project that I’ve taken on, as mentioned in the last post, is to take at least one photograph every day. This was inspired by my photography professor and mentor from college who has taken on this project since 2002 (http://dailypost.bowdoin.edu/). This has helped me to remain observant and to think about how to present my daily life to those of you who can’t see it with your own eyes. Please follow it by checking out my photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sam_wise/

A milestone for Cambodians that took place in the last month was the 5th national election in the history of Cambodia. It was a time of excitement, passion and anticipation for the Cambodian people. The aftermath is much calmer out in the provinces, but the final results have yet to be finalized. Peace Corps strongly suggested that we refrain from having political conversations for safety and security purposes which I adhered to, also because it’s really challenging to have a political conversation in another language. The author of the following article said “however flawed or unfair this election, the Cambodian people have spoken” which is the sentiment I experienced as every Cambodian I know of voting age proudly showed me their ink soaked finger as proof of their vote.



Fellow PCV’s blogs with more history and context on the election - http://60x27.com/2013/07/28/cambodias-national-assembly-elections/

Rainy season

Cows guarding my school

Birthday festivities

No comments:

Post a Comment