Monday, September 17, 2012

Locomotion

Got this quote from a friend...

 "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H. G. Wells

As I ran through my town today which is a completely foreign activity for most, especially to see a female barang (foreigner) do so, I think of the number of people just watching me and what they might be thinking. I also wonder if their interest in my choice of activity will wane over time and this becomes a fixture in their landscape. Time will tell. This also connects to a conversation I was having with my host family as they saw me laboriously trying to clean my dirty clothes. First of all, my host family thinks that I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to completing basic tasks: laundry, cooking, choosing the correct route to the market, purchasing food without being overcharged, etc. They are correct to assume so since this is all new to me. They are extremely patient and aim to ease my transition as much as they can. Back to the laundry...we discussed how Americans have machines to do tasks such as these, while Khmer do things by hand and are therefore more industrious (paraphrase as that word was clearly no discussed in Khmer). I observe this basic concept as I wander or bike around town each day. I see this replicated in a myriad of ways I do not even understand yet. I see people who are resourceful and make do with what they are given. Although I have not in fact begun my primary job within my PTTC, each day I am trying to learn more about my community, my family and the individuals I meet who demonstrate this notion.

Yesterday I practiced reading the Khmer (pronounced ka-mai) alphabet with my sisters as my 6-year-old sister is also learning to read. We try to teach one another somewhat successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment